Saturday, June 29, 2013

1st Day of Last Year of Softball


This is how you know our daughter Clare is home from college for the summer—the television is turned on to ESPN, with the NCAA Division I woman’s softball world series on.  I’m either on the couch watching or on call, expected to drop anything when summoned.  Clare plays Division III softball at Elmhurst College.

When you take the lump of human coal home from the hospital for the first time, their personality is up for grabs, or maybe not.  Either Clare was on her way to becoming a violinist had we only given her the instrument, or she was destined to be a ballplayer.  She did spend a lot of time on my lap as a two-year old watching Frank Thomas hit.  Two years later, she was lining a wiffle ball at my head.

And now it’s almost eighteen years after that.  My wife Michele and I, with five college degrees between us, have raised a jock of a child who is entering her last year of defining herself as an athlete.  Unless, that is, she tries out for the women’s professional softball league.  Personally, I’d rather she go back to baseball.  She played it through seventh grade, which may explain how she hits homeruns.  No one at Elmhurst has ever hit more.  

What I’m up to here is following my daughter’s last year in college.  The timing seems strange, I know, given how softball won’t start again until February.  But the jock in our house is never at rest, and she’d make a decent sportswriter if only we didn’t live in such a digital age.  She has opinions, and so do I.  The mix of them might be interesting as we count the calendar down to next year.

Anyway, she’s just come back from nine days of playing softball in Holland, where they don’t run the bases in wooden shoes.  Who knew?                      

 

 

 

    

No comments:

Post a Comment