Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Crossed Signals


I wonder if this ever happened in horse-and-buggy days: we were driving back from the store Monday when Clare called Michele on her cell.  Some girls went to the field for a little workout.  “Tell Dad.  I’ll put you on speaker.”  To which I could only say, Thanks.

Call me old-fashioned, but I like driving with two hands on the wheel.  Put a phone in my hand, and I get to feeling like a lawbreaker (which will be the case in Illinois, come 1-1-14).  So, all I did for twenty seconds was offer variations on Uh-huh and OK.  The text came right after supper.  Seems like there was a problem with my phone reaction.

Gimme the phone, I said.  Sitting in the living room a world away from traffic, I talked to my daughter, who put another two balls over the fence that afternoon.  “Good,” I said, with conviction.  “Now remember, if it’s worth doing in September, it’s worth doing in March.”

Horse-and-buggy advice in a cellular age.

No comments:

Post a Comment