Thursday, December 25, 2014

Steve McQueen and Don McMahon


 There are only so many times I can bike to Band of Brothers, which leads me to channel surfing.  Somewhere beyond the Turner Classic Movies on channel 501, Tuesday I settled into The Sand Pebbles, with Steve McQueen and Candice Bergen.  This is one of those movies that, no matter how many times I’ve seen it, the next time feels like the first.

Not that I’ve forgotten the first time, a Sunday afternoon in September of 1967.  My mother and I took the bus downtown to the Michael Todd, where an usher led us to our assigned seats.  I went instead of my father for two reasons: first, he was working at the firehouse on Archer and Sacramento that day, and second, he probably didn’t want to go, anyhow.  That left me to get lost in a love story about a beautiful missionary and a Navy seaman set against a backdrop of 1920s’ China in turmoil (I could’ve have written press releases in an earlier life, and did, for a time).  I’m a sucker for gunboats and B-17s, and one Southside baseball team.  I brought a transistor radio along to check on the White Sox score.
They beat the Indians, 3-1, behind a five-inning relief stint by Don McMahon, to move within one game of first place in the American League.  There were five games left in the season, but that was the last win for the Sox.  I should’ve known from the movie.  McQueen’s character  gets killed in the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment