Saturday, July 4, 2015

Deja vu


There I was, running through the store in search of the possibly extinct half-watermelon (try fitting a seedless bowling ball in the refrigerator or eating both halves before things get squishy) when I heard it over the PA, the The Go-Go’s Our Lips Are Sealed. And just like that it was the summer of 2007 again, with us driving through Iowa on our way to Kansas City.  I debuted a new CD midway through our little eight-hour drive.  Our dear daughter had never heard Jesus Christ Superstar or Godspell, never mind a girl group.

The rain and the heat and humidity that third week in July made it hard to forget those games.  This was also the nationals where Clare decided she wanted to hit homeruns.  As I write this, she yells down to me that there was a tornado in Lee’s Summit, Missouri, but that was the next summer, when no one could better her at putting balls over a fence.  Some things you just remember.

No comments:

Post a Comment