Tuesday, July 25, 2017

Time Flies, Except in Baseball


 The Tigers beat the Twins Sunday afternoon by a score of 9-6.  Pity the poor Twins’ fans who had to sit through 4 hours and 19 minutes of losing baseball, the longest nine-inning game in club history. 

In light of that and other unwanted baseball marathons, MLB Commissioner Rob Manfred says he wants to do something about the length of games.  OK, then put me in charge.  Twins’ manager Paul Molitor used six, count them, six, relievers, and guess what?  They still coughed up seven runs.  I doubt Molitor made the Hall of Fame by being a dumb player, but his  managing Sunday is a real headscratcher.

Give me a team, Mr. Commissioner, along with a mandate to carry no more than 11 pitchers.  Before long, I guarantee I can win more games by utilizing the 4-5 extra players on my roster with pinch running; pinch hitting; late-inning defensive substitutions; and platooning than I’ll lose by not having all those pitchers.  And I’ll do it in less time because I won’t be making all those pitching changes.

I see the Royals are carrying not 11, not 12, not 13, but 14 pitchers.  So, in the spirit of “put up or shut up,” let me go up against them, first.  OK, Commissioner?      

No comments:

Post a Comment