Wednesday, October 18, 2017

Practice Makes Perfect


My daughter used to hide from me in middle school when I wanted her to take fielding and batting practice with yours truly. Eventually, she got over it and accepted the benefit of catching grounders and fly balls, day after day, year after year, until she eventually found herself working at one of the major business schools in the country.  I like to think there’s a connection.
Now, Clare will even share ideas on how she would run a team if and when she’s ever named a coach.  (Hint: Not a lot of slapping.)  The one thing I would do starting in spring training is “short hop” practice for catchers.  Over the last year, I’ve lost count of the times a catcher has mishandled a short-hop throw and allowed the runner to score.  That’s just how the Yankees lost a game over the weekend in Houston.
With two out in the bottom of the ninth and Jose Altuve on first base, the Astros’ Carlos Correra doubled to right center.  Aaron Judge fielded the ball cleanly and hit his cutoff man (you have no idea how many “cut” practices I sat through in travel ball), who fired a one-hop throw to catcher Gary Sanchez.  The throw had Altuve beat by a good 3-4 feet, if only Sanchez had held onto the ball.
That’s why I’d institute the new drill, 45 minutes of short hops for each catcher in camp every three days or so and refreshers during the season.  That, and I’d look into redesigning catcher’s mitts to see if there’s any way to get them a little more of a pocket.  If not, then we’d practice, practice, practice.  

No comments:

Post a Comment