Tuesday, October 23, 2018

Special K(s)


I couldn’t help myself.  With Chris Sale slated to open the World Series for Boston, I just had to look.  But now I wish I hadn’t.  The list of most strikeouts by hitters in a regular season is not for the faint of heart.  You hear me, White Sox fans?

Be forewarned that we have two of the top four, with Adam Dunn at 222 in 2012 and Yoan Moncada at 217 this season.  Just imagine.  If the Sox hadn’t sat Moncada so much, he would’ve broken the record, giving us first- and second-place!  Whoopee!!

It gets worse.  You have to go down to 29th place (Trevor Story) before you can find another middle infielder listed.   After that, it’s Danny Espinosa in a tie at 31st, Jose Hernandez at 34th and Ian Desmond in a tie at 35th.   And you would want which of these players?  Maybe Story because he cut down on his strikeouts to 168 (!) this year while hitting .291 with 108 RBIs.  But remember, he’s playing half his games in sky-high Coors Field.
Chris Sale struck out 237 batters this year; Yoan Moncada struck out 217 times.  Maybe the White Sox were confused and thought they were getting a second starter to go with Michael Kopech and not a middle infielder from Boston.  It wouldn’t be the first time our front office has screwed up, or should I say dropped the ball?

No comments:

Post a Comment