Friday, May 21, 2021

Everything in Working Order, More or Less

Finally, today, in the third week of May, I took the bike out. My first ride, I might’ve liked the temperature a little cooler than 85 degrees, but climate change looks to have put an end to that kind of spring. The 606 seemed my best bet, with the possibility of a lake breeze at the east end of the trail (no such luck, with the wind coming out of the southwest). The one nice thing about the heat is it tends to chase people off the trail. Nobody like the guy I saw one day busy scrawling “The Pope is a fascist” in chalk. A few skateboarders and inline skaters along with the usual assortment of runners and cyclists, but no tourists incapable of figuring out what side of the yellow line to walk on. I hate those people. I had time enough to sweat and think, about the White Sox traveling to the Bronx for a weekend series with the damn’ Yankees as well as my friend. Daniel Palka has resurfaced with the Nationals, signed to a minor league contract. Daniel has himself three homeruns in 45 at-bats so far with the Rochester Red Wings to go with seven RBIs. Relax, Daniel, and concentrate. You want to make a good impression on your new employers. With luck, I’ll hit the lakefront trail on Tuesday. Maybe Palka will have five or six homers by then.

No comments:

Post a Comment