Friday, July 8, 2022

Goofy, Too

Explain to me how a team can go from scoring nine runs on fourteen hits Wednesday to one run on four hits Thursday. Factor in how, in that Thursday game, they were facing a pitcher with a 1-6 record and 4.54 ERA. Your 2022 Chicago White Sox. I could also add here that our hometown heroes had a run in, one out and runners in scoring position in the bottom of the ninth against Tigers’ closer Gregory Soto, Jose Abreu and Eloy Jimenez coming to the plate. Abreu struck out on three pitches, Jimenez grounded meekly to short. Tigers 2 Sox 1. What Tony La Russa says after a game these days doesn’t particularly matter, assuming I can even understand what he says. Captain Ahab has morphed into Mumbles, of Dick Tracy fame. What I would like is hitting coach Frank Menechino put on the hot seat, if only to see if the players care about the consequences of their (in)actions. I won’t hold my breath, though. In other Chicago sports’ news, an advisory committee to Chicago mayor Lori Lightfoot for the Soldier Field/Bears’ situation has been hard at work, sort of. According to yesterday’s Sun-Times, at some point in their deliberations the group proposed a “tourist attraction hotel” with a “Disney-feel.” No doubt. I mean, the Bears already are a Mickey Mouse operation.

No comments:

Post a Comment