Sunday, April 9, 2023

Half Full

I’m a “glass half full” kind of guy. That allows me to think the White Sox hitting will carry the team until the pitching shows up. But, if they’d lost to Vince Velasquez last night in Pittsburgh instead of winning 11-5, the glass is spilt, shattered, kaput. Something about rookie right fielder Oscar Colas has been bugging me. Not his hustle, that I like. But he reminded me of somebody from long ago. I checked to see that the lefty-hand hitting Colas stands 5’11”, which puts him two inches taller than that other lefty, Floyd Robinson. Robinson was a year older when he came up with the South Siders in 1961, and did he hit, over .300 for three of his first four seasons (.283 the other year), with an OBP of over.380 for three seasons and over .360 for all four. If Colas can do that, I’ll be more than happy. Robinson had an OK fifth season but declined steadily the next three and was out of the game by age 33. Here’s hoping Colas just keeps on going.

No comments:

Post a Comment