Thursday, August 1, 2024

Hence, to Plummet

The consensus is that White Sox GM Chris Getz gave up a lot more than he got during the trade deadline. Miguel Vargas, the one Sox acquisition put on the major-league roster, went from Dodger darling last season to expendable this year. In two games on the South Side, Vargas is 0-for-8 with three strikeouts. He did almost catch a ball yesterday in left field, so there’s that. Local media has spent the last few days trying to corner Getz on the future of his manager, but he won’t commit, and who can blame him? A manager who’s overseen losing streaks of fourteen and seventeen games (and this one’s ongoing, folks) in the same season doesn’t exactly elicit words of praise. Do the man a favor, I say, and show him the door. Now. Because Mickey Mouse is starting to embarrass himself. Before yesterday’s 10-3 loss to the Royals, Mouse did an interview in which he basically compared himself to Job: “There’s a reason why the good Lord put me in this job. There’s a reason why we’ve been hit with this storm. I choose to believe that. That’s my faith. That’s my foundation. I’m not crying about this. I’m going to fight through it. I’m not going to give up.” [quote from online story today on team website] That’s all, folks.

No comments:

Post a Comment