Friday, July 12, 2013

Favorite Players and Idiopathic Thrombocytopenic Purpura

Favorite Players and Idiopathic Thrombocytopenic Purpura

            My first favorite ballplayer was White Sox catcher J.C. Martin, and I’m not sure why.  Number two, though, I can tell you all about.  That would be Walt Williams.

            The White Sox traded for him in December 1966.  It was power-hitting catcher Johnny Romano for a 5’ 6” outfield prospect.  Unlike other Sox deals, e.g., Goose Gossage and Terry Forster for one season of Richie Zisk, this one worked out.  Romano was at the end of his career while Williams went on to play six seasons on the South Side.          

            Williams was what you might humbly exuberant.  The man smiled as he hustled, running out groundballs, running to his position in the outfield, running back in to the dugout.  I remember a Tenth Inning show interview with Jack Brickhouse in 1967.  Brickhouse: Walt, you had 54 doubles with Tulsa last season while batting .330.  You must really know how to hit.  Williams: (after a pause, he looks down at his feet before answering) Yeah, I can hit a little bit.  A modest ballplayer, the greatest of oxymorons.

            I took Clare to see Williams when she was five and he was managing the Altoona Rail Kings in an independent league; Williams graciously agreed to pictures.  The little girl who barely came to my waist in the photo now stands as tall as Walt Williams.  And I’ve always encouraged her to hustle.

            Williams was nicknamed “No Neck” on account of a short neck the result of complications from a typhus shot when he was two.  Which leads me to my new favorite Sox player, catcher Josh Phegley.  This prospect has just hit three home runs after one week in the majors, including a grand slam against the mighty Tigers.  In a season of misery, Phegley is cause for hope.
            He also makes me think of my sister, Betty.  In 2010 Phegley was diagnosed with idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura, a serious blood disorder that seems to have resolved itself with the removal of his spleen.  Betty suffered from something similar to ITP and died in ’10.  Funny the connections a person will make.             

No comments:

Post a Comment