Thursday, April 17, 2014

The Thrill of Victory...


ABC’s Wide World of Sports promised to show “the thrill of victory” along with “the agony of defeat.”  I can do without the losing part, especially coming at the end of my daughter’s playing career.

Yesterday against North Park, Tiffany gave up two runs in the first inning and nothing after that; she also hit a solo homerun to cut the deficit in half.  We threatened in the seventh with two runners in scoring position and one out but couldn’t get the walk-off hit.  We lose, 2-1.

Between games, Clare asked me if there were any changes in the batting order; I had to be the one who told her she was being dropped from fourth to eighth.  That would have been tolerable, for me at least, had we held onto a 4-1 lead going into, yes, the bottom of the seventh.  Two homeruns, the second a walk-off, gave North Park the nightcap, 6-4.
We go back to Carthage today, down and pretty much out.  I’m from the fire-and-brimstone school of motivation, but Coach is more detached, so it’s going to be up to the girls to find the will to win.  Cub fans may be fools to hope, but they have nothing on me.  

No comments:

Post a Comment