Tuesday, October 4, 2016

Older and Wiser


The worst time of my life as a baseball fan had nothing to do with the White Sox won-loss record.  The team was terrible in the late 1960s before bottoming out at 56-106 in 1970.  But it never fazed me.  I was young, naïve, optimistic and soon to be rewarded with Chuck Tanner pulling rabbits out of his managerial hat for the next five seasons:  Anyone for Wilbur Wood starting both ends of a doubleheader?

No, the worst time for me was in the early ’90s, when the Sox were very good, led by a core of players including Jack McDowell (a right-handed version of Chris Sale), Frank Thomas and, yes, Robin Ventura.  I felt absolutely no connection to that team.  Jerry Reinsdorf had threated to move to Tampa, of all places, in 1988 if he didn’t get a new, publicly funded stadium.  He got it, and Comiskey Park was torn down to make way for a ball mall.  I found it impossible to forgive or forget.

So, I watched ballgames on TV to cheer against what had always been my team.  I had no idea that the child sitting next to me on the couch would be feeling something entirely opposite; Clare was growing to love what I had turned against.  I soon had a rabid little baseball fan on my hands.  I either switched my allegiance to the Cubs or made my peace with the situation at 35th and Shields.  I made my peace and have since enjoyed being proven right about what constitutes a real ballpark and enlightened ownership.

After going through that, I can deal with the Cubs’ success.  It’s driving Jerry Reinsdorf crazy to the point he’ll either end his embrace of mediocrity or explode.  I can wait for either.  In the meantime, Chicago could use a feel-good story, up to a point.  Let the Cubs make the World Series and win three games, even; it’ll take everyone’s mind off the murder rate and the presidential election and the coming of winter and…

Just don’t let them win a fourth game.  I’m not that mellow, and neither is my daughter.

No comments:

Post a Comment