Sunday, January 22, 2023

What to Make of That?

Someday, Roger Goodell is going to assemble a goon squad to hunt down the likes of me. I watch playoff football; turn it off; come back to it after church or dinner; and never bet a dime. What does the commissioner make of that? I mean, the Jaguars-Chiefs’ game was good, Kansas City winning 27-20, but not enough for this baseball-first fan to stay glued to his TV. Sorry, 5 o’clock Mass, Jesus offering to turn some guys He met into fishers of men. Not to take anything away from Patrick Mahomes. As of today, this is somebody I could see my grandson emulating. So far, Mahomes has avoided the prima-donna persona of Tom Brady and Aaron Rodgers. Giants-Eagles? The score was 14-zip Philadelphia the first time I checked, 28-0 the second time. We taped “The Chase” for our gameshow pleasure, followed by episode seven of “The Crown.” I worry about Lady Diana. No doubt, football fans go through the same on Opening Day or the All-Star Game or the baseball postseason. But I think casual viewership of the national pastime provokes a different reaction. Don’t care about baseball? Fine, we’ll try harder to win you over. Don’t care that much about football? Traitors each and every one.

No comments:

Post a Comment