Wednesday, February 1, 2023

It's What You Don't See That Counts

If my daughter is anything like her old man, she should ace her presentation at work today. Once upon a time, I was known to outline class lectures on a business envelope, just to see if I could do it. Not to brag (too much), I was nominated for a university teaching award. Back to Clare. She in all likelihood burned the midnight oil (while avoiding the use of cliches, I hope), and I know she practiced the presentation while driving to work this morning. She probably didn’t have time to look at the latest White Sox news, which is just as well. A baseball team, yet again, showed the low regard it has for women. The Sox did this by releasing their player development staff for 2023. A whole bunch of names, with the ones belonging to women in areas like administration; nutrition; and therapy. Any coaches or assistant GMs? None that I could find. But Kenny Williams Jr. is listed as an assistant director for player development. It pays to know the right people, I guess, or be related to them. Clare has bumped into at least one woman who used to work in the White Sox front office; she quit for lack of opportunity. Judging from this list, I can see why. My daughter once dreamed of working for the Sox. Looking at this list, I’m glad she ended up elsewhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment