Friday, October 2, 2026

Calm Before the Storm

I’m waiting, for the White Sox-Guardians’ game tomorrow and the mail today. There could be a good-luck charm coming. It’s in the form of a team-autographed ball, the 1937 White Sox, to be precise. They were a few games better than the 2026 squad, at 86-68, good enough for third place, sixteen games behind the Yankees in a 154-game season. It was the best team Jimmy Dykes would have in thirteen years of managing on the South Side. Two names you’d expect to see are there, Ted Lyons and Luke Appling (hey, I met him once!), but that’s not why I bought it. There were two other names, starting with Monty Stratton, a 25-year old righthander who went 15-5 with a 2.40 ERA in his second full season with the Sox. Stratton would match that win total in 1938 and then never pitch again in the major leagues after an off-season hunting accident led to the amputation of his right leg. Jimmy Stewart played him in the move, and I have a photo of a smiling Stratton in his Sox uniform on the wall opposite my work desk. The other autograph I made sure was on the ball belongs to Zeke Bonura, a hitting enigma if there ever was one. The righthand-hitting first baseman didn’t make the majors until he was 25 and played only seven seasons. You’d think anyone who totaled 704 career RBIs in such a relatively short span would’ve had a longer career, but he didn’t. (Baseball) age and WWII got in the way. In our house, there’s a direct connection between Bonura and another Sox enigma, Daniel Palka. When Palka hit 27 homeruns his first and only full season in the majors in 2018, I knew he equaled Bonura’s number for a rookie. My daughter was dumbfounded. There was some other Bonura trivia I aced that brought the pride of New Orleans back to life one summer nine years ago. Stratton, Bonura, Palka—good names deserving of good results in Cleveland starting tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment