Wednesday, December 18, 2013

South Side


South Side

Clare picked yoga over LA Fitness last night, which necessitated a trip to Oak Park.  From the way the girl talks, you would never know she spent the first four years of her life there.

Let me preface that by saying my father was South Side, working class and Polish to his dying day.  I’m all of the above, as filtered through a Ph.D.  And my daughter is all of that, too, as filtered through sports, the Berwyn bungalow belt and God knows what else.
            Anyway, she ended up next to two girls, both probably high school seniors.  One of them talked a little too much about how thrilled she was to be going to Oberlin, that bastion of women’s education.  “She’s obviously not an athlete,” Clare decided because, if she were, the girl would have known we slaughtered Oberlin 9-0 in Florida last March.  A certain somebody spiked the third baseman.  I think it was an accident.  At least I hope it was.  

No comments:

Post a Comment