Saturday, August 23, 2014

South Side Pride


I was born and raised on the South Side of Chicago, so I had to be pulling for the Jackie Robinson West team in today’s U.S. Little League World Series title game against Las Vegas/Nevada.  For once, the underdog won.

I looked at the Chicago team and saw a bunch of kids, all different sizes, but kids nonetheless.  I looked at the Las Vegas team and saw a bunch of Bryce Harper wannabes.  That’s not their fault, I know; parents and coaches pushed to make the team what it was.  Still, I had flashbacks to travel ball, where the only thing better than having money is having more money.  The Chicago team nickel and dimed its way to a budget.  Las Vegas probably used a nice, thick roll of c-notes.

Las Vegas scored three runs in the top of the first and got all cocky, and I hate that.  Wait until the game is over, then celebrate, which is exactly what the Jackie Robinson team did.  Earlier in the week, one of their players showboated around the bases after hitting a homerun.  The coach made him go back and apologize to the opposing team.

That, my friends, is how you’re supposed to play the game.

No comments:

Post a Comment