Saturday, March 14, 2015

How We Do Things in Berwyn


 When Clare was eight or nine, we went to the Berwyn Rec to talk to some of the people who run the place.  I wanted to make sure my daughter could keep playing baseball because that’s what she wanted to do.  And the guys there said, OK.

One of those guys is the basketball coach where Clare went to high school.  Morton has this great underdog reputation—the bungalow crowd isn’t supposed to be so good at sports, especially against the well-heeled schools in the West Suburban Gold Conference.  To beat Downers Grove South is to know how David felt coming home after his fight with Goliath.

The basketball team has been pretty good for the last eight years or so.  This season, they made it all the way to sectionals, eliminating the defending state champs in the process.  After a game this week, one of the players told the Tribune, “Coach has been yelling at me to crash the boards.  I never do.  I just sit there and watch.  I finally did it because I knew we needed it, and after that dunk [that highlighted an 18-1 run late in the game], I knew the [home] crowd was into it.”
One of the graduating seniors is going to Harvard, and the above game took out St. Ignatius.  Every David in every Berwyn bungalow should feel proud.  

No comments:

Post a Comment