Saturday, May 23, 2015

Let the Debates Begin


 It’s the end of May, when NCAA Division I softball reigns at home and abroad.  As soon as Clare puts a game on, I go into hitting coach mode.

This season, I seem to be seeing a lot of exaggerated batting stances, legs wide apart, front foot pointed more to third base than first; I always taught Clare to stand straightaway or front foot pointed slightly to first (which should get a right-handed batter out of the box quicker) and to stride ever so slightly into a pitch.  Clare didn’t necessarily agree, but she knew why I thought it mattered.  I just don’t see how a batter generates power with her legs planted.  There’s no significant weight shift in that kind of swing.  Think Babe Ruth, for example.

None of which affects University of Michigan junior shortstop Sierra Romero.  In 62 games this spring, Romero is batting .472 with 21 homers and 80 rbi’s.  You mean to tell me Romero couldn’t play baseball?  Granted, she stands 5’5”, but that never got in the way of Freddie Patek, also 5-5.  And maybe not short but second.  Where’s Branch Rickey when you need him?     

No comments:

Post a Comment