Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Stuck in Lodi, aka Valpo


 There’s a Credence Clearwater Revival song with a chorus that goes, “Oh Lord, stuck in Lodi again.”  My daughter can relate.

She’s back at Valpo, trying to fashion a summer around softball that, with luck, will include honest-to-goodness D-I recruiting responsibilities.  Too bad Clare’s apartment complex has lousy cable.  No White Sox or Cubs, a blackout last night on MLB Network and no channel that shows a schedule of programs.  Is there anything on TV? someone texted her mother.    

“Tell her Chicago Fire is on at nine,” I kind of joked.  My father was a veteran of 35 years with the Chicago Fire Department, only he ne3ver ate as much smoke in a year as the characters do in half an episode.  But I like guessing where they film the exterior scenes.

And this is what our specific-sports-wired child texted back: I hate soccer.  Oops, wrong Fire. 

No comments:

Post a Comment