Friday, January 22, 2016

Progress


For the first time in NFL history, a team has hired a woman to its coaching staff.  I think.

It’s just that I can’t tell what exactly a “quality control special teams’ coach” does; the Bills’ website acts as though everyone should know.  I understand the role of a bullpen coach in baseball, and a bench coach and even an assistant hitting coach, and No, no MLB team has yet to hire a woman in any of those capacities.  Still, I’m suspicious here.  Last season, Kathryn Smith was administrative assistant to Bills’ head coach Rex Ryan, and now she’s moving on to quality control.  Maybe I don’t know enough about football jobs to be properly impressed.     

But I do know how you can tell if the job means anything.  Say special-teams’ play helps win two straight games next season.  Would Ryan single out Smith’s contribution at a news conference?  Conversely, say special teams loses two straight games.  Would Smith get fired?

No comments:

Post a Comment