Wednesday, December 28, 2016

Options


Right now, my prescription for preventing early-onset cabin fever is daily biking to episodes of “Penny Dreadful” on Netflix.   I’m still trying to decide whether or not to root for Dorian Gray.  As for the Pinstripe Bowl, I’ll take a pass, pardon the pun.

This would be a perfect time for indoor golfing, if only I cared about the outdoor variety.  I wouldn’t be too surprised if Clare did a little of it, though.  Her fiancé Chris is a big golfer, and he’s been trying to get Clare to stop approaching her golf swing like it was an at-bat.  Good luck with that.  As for the indoor stuff, Clare actually had considerable experience in college.  For two years, Elmhurst softball started the season playing a tournament at a golf dome in Davenport, Iowa.  So, there’s going to be a real temptation may for my daughter to approach winter golf the way she did February softball.

This would also be the perfect time for ice fishing, if only I had lost my mind.  Not yet.  Or I could go bowling (indoors, of course).  I did that plenty of times in my 20s and 30s.  Some friends even had a day-after-Thanksgiving tournament in the 1980s.  I think I bowled a strike at the same time Doug Flutie threw his Hail Mary to beat the University of Miami in 1984.  But try to find a bowling alley these days that isn’t geared to high-end hipster fun.
Onward, Penny Dreadful.      

No comments:

Post a Comment