Thursday, August 2, 2018

Echoes



Monday was my birthday, two-thirds of the way to the devil’s number, as one friend joked (I think).  The devil or boxcars, it wasn’t enough to keep Clare and Chris from coming over for steak and cake.
I can see that my role as in-law and, maybe eventually, grandfather will include the television turned on to some sporting event; as long as it’s not golf, I’m OK with that.  Both before and after birthday candles (Full Disclosure: the second verse of Happy Birthday in our house starts with “May the dear Lord bless you.”) Clare sat next to me on the couch watching the Red Sox-Phillies’ game.  Every so often, a hitter would take a vicious cut at a pitch and someone, either father or daughter or I think once both of us together, let out a little gasp, as in “Ooh!”
You can take the girl out of the house, but you can’t take the upbringing out of the girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment