Thursday, August 30, 2018

True Colors


Clare had her surgery at a hospital just off The Magnificent Mile of north Michigan Avenue.  I don’t know what the operating room looked like, but the waiting room was moderately breathtaking with its views of the North Side and Lake Michigan.  Like they say in the real estate business, it’s all about location, location, location.
I brought a ton of stuff to read, including the latest issue of Chicago Magazine.  On the very last page was an interview with Hawk Harrelson.  Of particular interest to me was the sentence in bold face:  I hate Wrigley Field. I really do.  I will never step foot in it again.”
With a little effort, I probably could’ve located the ballpark from my 12th floor perch.  Of course, Harrelson hates Wrigley.  He’s smart enough to know the Cubs would be just another team, sort of like the White Sox, but for their ballpark.  That mass of bricks together with the ivy-covered outfield walls and hand-operated scoreboard are baseball in a way no mall could ever be.
Back when Harrelson was general manager of the Sox in 1986, the team had a ballpark the equal to Wrigley, a mass of bricks together with a series of sublime arches in the exterior walls and a centerfield so grand you thought it might be the commons for heaven.  But Hawk must have been too busy screwing up the front office to notice.  His loss, to say nothing of ours.

No comments:

Post a Comment