Thursday, March 7, 2019

Heresy, Again


Way over there are Bulls’ fans venting on the state of the rebuild, the quality of the front office and the chances of drafting Zion Williamsnon.  Over here is me, and the colonoscopy.

 

The good news it wasn’t my time, quite yet, but I did have to keep an eye on someone, make sure she took her dose of liquid yao-sah at 12:30 in the morning and be ready to exit the house by 5:45 AM.  (Good news—no polyps).  So, with that as a background, I caught the end of the Bulls-76ers’ game last night, and I couldn’t have asked for more, a 108-107 Bulls’ win.

 

How did the game affect the rebuild; reflect on the front-office competence of “garpax”; alter the Bulls’ shot at Williamson?  I don’t know, and I don’t care.  I just wanted a diversion and got one.  Thank you, Zach LaVine and Robin Lopez.  And for what it’s worth, I’m upgrading head coach Jim Boylen from Terry Bevington status to Don Zimmer.  If the team keeps winning, I may declare Boylen the second coming of Ed Badger.

 

On a related note, I thought that the future of journalism was digital.  You know, news covered in almost-real time.  So, there I was, reading the Tribune sports’ section on a tablet at 6:30 AM in a hospital waiting room.  The Bulls’ story barely mentioned the game and the box score was one of those partial ones where all the information gets compressed until it threatens to turn into hieroglyphics.  Excuse me, but this wasn’t a West Coast baseball game, and it certainly wasn’t a hard-copy story.

The noise you hear might be a newspaper circling the drain.

No comments:

Post a Comment