Tuesday, February 1, 2022

First Impressions

What is it about Bears’ head coaches and their hair? Mike Ditka looked like he ran a lawn mower through his while I swear Marc Trestman used shoe polish to dye what he had and Ron Popeil’s hair in a can to add what he didn’t. Matt Nagy went in the opposite direction by highlighting his bald top by wearing a visor. God, my daughter hated wearing a visor when she played softball. And now we have Matt Eberflus, who sure looked like he was using a lot of product to get his locks all wavy. Eberflus also sounded like a guy who talks a tad too loud for whatever room he’s in. Here’s hoping he’s not the kind of guy who also stands too close to you when talking. Two other points worth noting here, neither one of them originating with me. In yesterday’s The Athletic, Dan Pompei asked why the Bears didn’t consider Jim Harbaugh. What, an ex-player come back to coach the team that spurned him? Holy Ditka, that would never work. In today’s Sun-Times, Jason Lieser brought up Eberflus’s coaching philosophy, summed up in the acronym H.I.T.S. (hustle/intensity/turnovers—and I’m guessing here he means the ones you cause, not the ones you make/smart). Me, I’d go after Eberflus for the lack of parallel structure. Lieser, probably more in tune with most Bears’ fans than I am, noted the new coach appears “blissfully unaware of how vulnerable that [H.I.T.S.] leaves him to people sticking an extra S at the front if things go sour.” Yeah, then it’d really hit the fan.

No comments:

Post a Comment