Tuesday, February 8, 2022

Hanging On

What does Devo say? Right: How long can this go on? These are the dog days of winter, for sure. Start off with the MLB lockout. No winter meetings, no hot stove, no end in sight. On top of that, the Bears belched, and Chicago media is tripping over itself to provide coverage. Why, just today I see in the paper our Munsters have added a tight-ends’ coach and an o-line assistant coach. Be still, my trembling heart. Talk about a one-two punch, Bears and Super Bowl; I don’t much care about either. Ditto college basketball. That leaves the Bulls. Maybe I’ll warm to Nikola Vucevic by season’s end, but I doubt it. Did I mention the Olympics? I hate the Olympics. Maybe I’d feel differently if I had learned to skate, but I didn’t. My daughter, on the other hand, skates like Hans Brinker, which may be why she enjoys watching this stuff. Me, I never liked pipes, so why would I care about a half-pipe? Or the short program? A good rule of thumb for me is that judges and averaged scores don’t make for sport. Athletically framed artistic expression, yes, but not sport. That said, I believe in keeping the peace at home, so I give up the TV (after we watch Jeopardy!) for whatever Michele wants to watch. Then it becomes a matter of hoping NBC doesn’t wait to show the good stuff for last, which was exactly what happened last night. My wife wanted to see American figure-skater Nathan Chen, but she also had to get up for work at 6:30. It was closing in on 10:45 and still not Chen. Then it was lights out and everybody to sleep. This morning, we find out Chen set a world record with his routine. Thanks for leading with that, guys. Oh, and why does Lester Holt stand outside at the start of his nightly newscasts, like he’s reporting from Beijing? Please, make the snow melt and lock the idiots into a room until they agree on a new CBA. I can’t take much more of this.

No comments:

Post a Comment