Friday, September 2, 2022

Slip-sliding Away

For reasons beyond my comprehension, we get YouTube on our TV. That’s how I ended up watching yesterday’s White Sox-Royals’ game. Nice to see the Sox think they have a chance of leapfrogging two teams to win the division. But don’t look a 7-2 Johnny Cueto win in the mouth, I guess. I do hope MLB got bushels of money for letting YouTube carry the game. If you’re going to trash the national pastime, at least make it worth your while, I say. And make sure you have control over the announcers. I mean, two squids and Yonder Alonso in the broadcast booth don’t exactly make an homage to Red Barber or Vince Sculley. Also, correct me if I’m wrong here, but YouTube couldn’t even sell much of the commercial time between innings. There were a couple of ads followed by a countdown to the next half-inning on an otherwise static screen. Nothing says “fiasco” better. Tonight, though, I go back to muting broadcasters I know, if not quite love, with the Twins coming to town for three games. Like they say in Missouri, the Sox will have to show me they can catch a team before I believe it.

No comments:

Post a Comment