Wednesday, March 1, 2023

Colors

The Bears go into the offseason with the most cap space of any team ($98 million), along with the first pick in the draft. I can repeat how neither development has anything to do with a new stadium until I’m blue in the face, not that the Chicago media would notice or care. NBC Sports Chicago is doing a documentary on the stadium situation that Richard Roeper in today’s Sun-Times refers to as “insightful and journalistically sound.” I’m not so sure. At one point, Solider Field gets compared to SoFi Stadium, which Roeper says is like comparing “Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs” to “Avatar: The Way of Water.” “Bears’ fans might now know what they’re missing—but they’re missing a LOT.” Little or none of which affects the product on the field. SoFi didn’t help the Rams make the playoffs in 2022, though I’m sure it proved a moneymaker for Rams’ owner Stan Kroenke. Bear with me again. The crappy team in the crappy stadium is going to rebound nicely, if the general manager knows what he’s doing. The Rams, on the other hand, don’t even have a pick in the first of the draft come April. As for cap space, it’s in the neighborhood of $14.2 million, not a lot if they want to sign high-impact free agents. But like I say until I’m blue in the face, new stadiums in the NFL have next to no affect on the quality of the product.

No comments:

Post a Comment