Saturday, March 18, 2023

This Could Get Interesting

Eloy Jimenez was away so long playing for the Dominican Republic in the World Baseball Classic that I’d forgotten what he looked like. After seeing him back in Arizona yesterday, I remember—the guy looks fit. White Sox manager Pedro Grifol offered Eloy a day off, which he refused. The bat certainly looked good, as evidenced by a double his first time up, but the real question is the glove. How often will Jimenez play the field, and where? This is apples to oranges, I know, but it’s the best I’ve got, so it’ll have to do: Eloy looked fluid running the bases, which is not something I would ordinarily say of him. My hope would be that he approaches getting to a flyball the same way he did getting to second base, quickly and in one piece. The proof will be in the playing. If Eloy plays his way into the outfield on a regular basis, that could be a first. I can’t recall anyone else who’s gone from liability to asset with the glove after four years in the big leagues. I’ll be more than happy to put Jimenez at the top of my list. Just color me skeptical until it happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment