Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Shooting the Breeze

 
As a rule, I try not to eat in parking lots, but Saturday was homecoming for Elmhurst, so eat atop the asphalt we did.  If nothing else, Clare was pretty ecstatic because of the turnout, fourteen players, most with families.  Apparently, freshmen sitting with seniors at a football game in October bodes well for the spring.

Coach Mike put in an appearance before the game, and we talked.  He’s into his second year heading up the program.  Coach loves Clare if for no other reason than he recruited her when an assistant in 2009.  That, and she hits homeruns.

Coaches are fond of the story about the father of a high school senior who talks and talks, making demands, until the scholarship offer to his kid goes away, but I’m pretty much past worrying about Clare’s softball future.  So, I told Coach, “You know what I want for my daughter?  I don’t want her college career ending on Senior Day or at the CCIW tournament.  I want it to end at the NCAA tournament on a field somewhere in Iowa or Wisconsin.  That’s what I want.”

There wasn’t anything more to say.

No comments:

Post a Comment