Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Commitment




Those Holsum bakers were at it again.  At six o’clock in the morning I lay in bed while my daughter and her teammates started an early practice.  There’s something delicious in this for me, knowing that someone who can sleep close to noon has to be up in zero-degree weather a couple of cracks before dawn.  Clare can blame that ability to sleep on me if she wants, but the athletic stuff is all her doing.

She’s also different in her refusal to cut a class; I did it way too often.  Only it was so hard for my progeny to stay awake this morning that she asked to be excused, as if she had to go to the bathroom.  Instead, Clare ran up and down the hall to get her blood moving.  As an ex-professor not fond of snoozing students (especially in the first row), I have to admit there’s something endearing in that.

No comments:

Post a Comment