Tuesday, January 3, 2017

Connections


My father-in-law has some peculiar notions about basketball, in particular that #1 draft picks should always excel because they were so good in college.  To me, a bust at number one means bad scouting.  To him, it’s one of life’s great mysteries.

But I get why he likes the Bulls’ Jimmy Butler, who scored 52 points yesterday in a win against Charlotte.  Yes, Butler was a #1 selection, but that’s not it.  Butler attended Marquette, and so did my father-in-law’s grandson Nate.  Whenever we happen to be watching the Bulls, my father-in-law sees Butler and mentions Nate, who also attended Marquette.  Nate never graduated because he died of cancer.  But as long as Jimmy Butler can play in the NBA, a boy taken too soon still lives.  And what kind of son-in-law would I be to have a problem with that?    

No comments:

Post a Comment