Saturday, January 7, 2017

Transactions


Clare called today, a Saturday, to tell me the White Sox claimed outfielder Willy Garcia off waivers from the Pirates and designated outfielder Jason Coats for assignment.  This allowed me to give her a refresher on the intricacies of the 40-man roster, after which I mentioned Coats might stay with the Sox organization, unlike J.B. Shuck, who signed with the Twins after being taken off the roster.

I wonder if I did something like this with my parents after getting married.  My father had a passion for the newspaper and could’ve talked about anything from any section, though he didn’t have the same interest in the Transactions’ tiny-type that I always did.  And we didn’t talk politics because you just didn’t talk politics with my father.  As for conversations with my mother, they always danced around the question, When are you having a baby?  It took twelve years before she got the answer she wanted.

And now that answer updates me on moves our favorite baseball team makes.  I should have called more.

No comments:

Post a Comment