Sunday, February 11, 2018

Respect


Respect

I am by nature a critical person, which is no excuse for giving into snark.  That nearly happened Friday night while Michele and I sat on the couch to watch the opening ceremonies for the Winter Olympics.

A South Korean take on American pop culture is not exactly my cup of tea; as for the Korean cultural flourishes, I have yet to do anything in my life “gangnman style.”  South Side, by all means yes, gangnman, alas, no.
But who am I to judge?  There is no “right” way to do the Olympics, though keeping Matt Lauer away is definitely a good start.  But going in the opposite direction of pop culture could lead straight to Leni Riefenstahl, and who wants another “Triumph of the Will” or “Olympia”?  No, let the South Koreans have their way on their day.  They are, after all, paying for it.  Critics like me can just switch the channel if they don’t like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment