Sunday, March 25, 2018

The Saddest of Coincidences


Last June, the Cubs drafted Chris Singleton, an outfielder out of Charleston Southern University.  The ninth-round pick could be a sleeper, with speed to go with a nice on-base percentage.  Ordinarily, I don’t care about who the Cubs pick, but Singleton is different.  His mother was one of the nine people killed in the 2015 church shooting in Charleston, South Carolina.  I’m not sure I could handle that kind of tragedy.  Singleton, though, seems to have accepted it and not let it affect his view of humanity.  I can’t help but root for a player like that.
Meanwhile, the White Sox last June took shortstop Mikey Duarte from UC Irvine in the 23rd round; I didn’t become aware of Duarte until months later, sometime after the October mass shooting in Las Vegas; Duarte’s 21-year old sister Christiana was among the 58 victims.  Duarte doubled in his first spring-training game this week; in a postgame interview, he said he dedicated the hit to Christiana.  It’s pretty obvious that her death still weighs on him.  Again, I can’t help but root for someone like that.
I just wish these young men had been made to exhibit grace under a different sort of pressure.  

No comments:

Post a Comment