Thursday, December 17, 2020

My Bad

How did I miss this? I was reading today’s Trib sports’ section when I ran across something White Sox and Bulls’ owner Jerry Reinsdorf said in response to ESPN’s “The Last Dance.” Reinsdorf conveyed to sportswriter K.C. Johnson in a May phone conversation his displeasure with Michael Jordan. You see, Jordan said in the documentary that the Bulls should’ve tried for a seventh title, and that upset The Chairman. “I was not pleased,” he related to Johnson. “How’s that? He knew better. Michael and I had some private conversations at the time that I won’t go into detail on ever. But there’s no question in my mind that Michael’s feeling at the time was we could not put together a championship team the next year.” Notice how Reinsdorf has information he won’t divulge, sort of like that engineering report on Comiskey Park. In the minds of the super-rich, something said by them is, ipso facto, true. Facts are not important, or details. The mighty have spoken. This is what makes it hard, for me at least, to root for either Reinsdorf team; he treats fans as little more than peasants. Give them a little cake, expect a world of obedience in return. Yes, m’lord, hiring Tony LaRussa is a great idea, and Jim Boylen…

No comments:

Post a Comment