Thursday, February 25, 2021

Apples and Oranges, Donovan and La Russa

So, the Bulls moved to within one game of .500 (15-16) last night with a 133-126 win over the Timberwolves in overtime. As I’ve said, if head coach Billy Donovan guides this roster to .500 or better on the season, he’s Coach of the Year, hands down. And then we have Tony La Russa. The new/old White Sox manager has been a noticeable presence around camp at Camelback Ranch, which is what you want. Read about La Russa, and everything looks good, fingers crossed. But catch the nightly sports on TV, and it almost takes your breath away. Or it does mine. Trust me, I know people in glass houses shouldn’t throw stones, but La Russa looks every bit of his seventy-six years, and then some; me, I’m just a guy drivers call “Grandpa!” if they don’t like how I’m riding my bike crossing their path. In other words, I get a break where La Russa won’t. If this latest move by Jerry Reinsdorf and company doesn’t work out, I get to say, “I told you so,” which isn’t going to be all that satisfying. I’d rather be forced into tipping the proverbial cap to Reinsdorf on making two hires who win Coach/Manager of the Year awards in their respective sports. We’ll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment