Monday, February 8, 2021

Grace Under Pressure

The Bucs took the Chiefs to the woodshed in Super Bowl LV yesterday to the tune of 31-9. Tom Brady can lay claim to being quarterback GOAT with his seventh win while Patrick Mahomes finally got to experience what a pounding literally and emotionally feels like. I’m betting this makes for a future GOAT. I read that Mahomes was chased for something like 500 yards behind the line of scrimmage during the game, and I know he made some incredible throws side-armed (the angles of which would make me worry about injury). My point is that Mahomes kept putting his body out there long past the time it was obvious his team didn’t have a chance. A Chicago-area roofing company does a commercial about what marks a champion. I’d say, look at how hard Mahomes played with his team down by 22 points. After the game, the first one which Mahomes has ever lost by more than one possession as a pro, the 25-year old told the media that the Bucs “were the better team today. They beat us pretty good—the worst I think I’ve been beaten in a long time. But I’m proud of the guys and how they fought until the very end.” Hmm. Not a hint of Joe Namath or Cam Newton in any of that, which to me is a good thing. A young, gifted athlete found himself on the short, painful end of the score, and it sounded like he was going to be the better for it. Like I said, future GOAT.

No comments:

Post a Comment