Sunday, November 13, 2022

Embers in a Hot Stove

I’m a baseball fan, mostly. I don’t expect much from the papers this time of year. If they maintain even a flicker of interest in the hot-stove league, I’m happy. The Sunday Tribune sports made me anything but. It’s not like I’m asking for a page-one story on the Arizona Fall League, but devoting virtually all of page one and four full inside pages to Jon Scheyer defies logic, unless the point is to maximize profit for Trib corporate parent Alden Global Capital. Colonel McCormick spins in his grave. Who is Jon Scheyer? The 35-year old successor to Coach Mike Krzyzewski at Duke by way of Glenbrook North High School. Odds are Scheyer will have no more to do with the Chicago area than Coach K, the pride of St. Helen’s Grade School in Ukrainian Village, did once he established himself at Duke. Unless the Duke basketball program intends to relocate here. Otherwise, a whole lot of trees died for the Tribune sports’ department to save a few bucks by focusing limited resources on one big, blah story. My hot stove grows cold in the process.

No comments:

Post a Comment