Sunday, March 24, 2024

Countdown

Spring training is supposed to be the time when you can dream about breakout seasons leading to the postseason. Not with the White Sox. Going into today’s game, their record stands at 9-19, which comes out to a .321 winning percentage. Call it the Mark of the Mouse. Last season, Sox manager Mickey Mouse “led” his team to a 61-101 record, with a .377 winning percentage. I don’t know about you, but I see a pattern here. If nothing else, new GM Chris Getz has proven adept at moving deck chairs. With Rick Hahn in charge, I’d expect Mike Moustakas and Kevin Pillar to make the Opening Day roster. Instead, they got released earlier this week. By my way of thinking, this shows Getz is looking to the future, not the past, and that’s a good thing. Mickey Mouse as manager is not. I’m more than happy to be wrong here, to the point I’ll go back to referring to Mouse by his given name if the Sox are over .500 by the end of May. But truth be told, by that time I expect to see either a new manager in place or a list of possibilities to fill what will very shortly become a managing vacancy on the South Side.

No comments:

Post a Comment