Monday, November 2, 2015

Seems Like Old Times


 Pity the poor Mets, having to depend on Addison Reed and Bartolo Colon to stave off World Series elimination by the Royals.  I remember them well from their time on the White Sox—the one always seemed to give up the big hit while the other never looked like he gave a damn’.  Reed and Colon combined to let five runs score in the top of the 12th, more than enough to say: Good night, New York.

If I ever get to own a team, the first thing I’d insist on is having my players run the bases like the Royals do; always try and take the extra base, always keep the pressure on the opposing battery.  Will he steal?  When?  Will she steal?  When?  (Remember, it’s my team.)  You have to wonder what KC would’ve done to the Cubs’ Jon Lester, with his inability to keep runners close.  Talk about running wild.
The next thing I’d do is take away the sacrifice bunt by insisting my fielders throw, not just look, to second.  From what I can tell, this would have more of an effect on strategy than shifts do now.  And the last thing I’d do is make use of a 10-(wo)man staff, at least in the playoffs.  Have a speedster plus a really good pinch-hitter in your arsenal, I guarantee you’ll win.  Just give me a team, and I’ll prove it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment