Tuesday, June 27, 2017

The Oracle of Delphi


Last week, Matt Davidson of the White Sox told a Sun-Times reporter he has to fight tensing up at the plate.  Before this season, Davidson said he “would get tense, not from a stress standpoint but from trying to do too much, and that makes me make bad decisions,” known to us laypeople as striking out all the time.

There’s more.  Davidson went on to say he’s now trying to “get the tension out of my shoulders and arms and just try to be in my hands.  When I get long or slower or tense up, I will foul those pitches off or swing through them.”

Try to be in his hands?  You have to hope Davidson brings an interpreter to his visits with hitting coach Todd Steverson.  Clare used to get like this, talking hitter-gibber.  I probably drove her nuts by saying, “See ball, hit ball.”  But it’s true, simple and true. 

No comments:

Post a Comment