Thursday, November 23, 2017

Back into the Box


You can take the hitter out of the game, but you can’t take the game out of the hitter, as I found out yesterday when Clare stopped by the house.  Two days past her twenty-sixth birthday, our only child had volunteered to help make some Thanksgiving Day dishes.  She also wanted me to watch a Netflix documentary on fastballs.  “I think you’ll like it,” advised my personal film critic.  (We actually had Clare do movie reviews when she was growing up, but that’s a story for another day.)

Narrated by Kevin Costner (who else?), “Fastball” tells the story of baseball’s most exciting pitch.  I usually watch these things more for the old footage than the talking heads.  Walter Johnson, the “father” of the fastball, not only looked good, but I have to admit I actually learned something—off of old measurements corrected, Johnson actually threw a hair faster than 93 mph (vs. 98 mph for Bob Feller).  But the real revelation was the White Sox own, Goose Gossage.

The more Goose talked about his talent, the more my daughter acted like she wanted to step in and hit against him.  Forget Bobby Riggs and Billie Jean King.  Goose vs. Clare would have been a matchup for the ages.  Trust me.

No comments:

Post a Comment