Monday, November 6, 2017

Look in the Mirror, Vin, before You Talk


Look in the Mirror, Vin, Before You Open Your Mouth

For reasons that are beyond me, former Dodgers’ broadcaster Vin Scully was honored over the weekend in Pasadena, yet another example of the insanity that prevails in California.  There was, perish the thought, “An Evening with Vin Scully” during which he was asked about NFL player protests during the National Anthem.  “I have only one personal thought, really [ever, that’s for sure],” responded Scully.  “And I’m so disappointed.”

Scully said he had “overwhelming respect and admiration for anyone who puts on a uniform and goes to war.  So the only thing I can do in my little way is not to preach,” which he immediately went on to do by adding, “I will never watch another NFL game.”

The 89-year old Scully claimed he’s not “some great patriot.  I was in the Navy for a year, didn’t go anywhere, didn’t do anything.”  To the best of my knowledge, he also didn’t do anything when Dodgers’ owner Walter O’Malley decided Ebbets Field was a dump to get out of and what the city of New York offered as a new home didn’t meet his needs or standards.  So, the Dodgers and a young Vin Scully abandoned Brooklyn for Los Angeles, where the building of a new stadium at Chavez Ravine involved the dislocation of a lot of people.  Again, I’m not aware of Scully ever addressing that particular bit of Dodgers' history.
Given a choice, I’d take the backstabbing frontrunner-ism of Harry Caray to the gauzy blah-blah of Scully.  But I don’t want to preach.

No comments:

Post a Comment