Saturday, June 30, 2018

A Walk Together


For reasons I don’t quite understand, Clare spent her last night of single life with us yesterday.  Like countless times before, she sat in the living room, phone at her side or pressed against her face as she told her soon-to-be husband that Matt Davidson of the White Sox looked good pitching in an 11-3 blowout loss to the Rangers.  “He was strangely athletic,” observed my ever-wise progeny.

This morning, like countless ones before, she used her Ted Williams’ root beer glass, the one I bought at a memorabilia show two years and a month before her birth; it was the same show where I talked with Luke Appling for a good ten minutes.  Between the glass and Clare’s aches-and-pains routine over the years, something must’ve rubbed off from that Sunday in downstate Lewistown.

In under four hours, I will walk my daughter down the aisle of the same church where she was baptized, to be married by the same priest who baptized her; baseball families understand the value of tradition.  Then, if I don’t break down by the time of the reception, I’ll give a test that will allude to my child’s athletic prowess (and, with luck, embarrass her just a little bit.  I mean, what good is a father if he can’t embarrass his daughter at her wedding reception?) 

When everything is over, the leftover wedding put in our care to go in the freezer, I will drive home with my wife, our lives forever changed.

No comments:

Post a Comment