Saturday, June 23, 2018

It's Greek to Me


I went for my father-of-the-bride haircut yesterday morning.  Ahead of me was someone who looked like my father would if he were still alive, at 104.  Very nice man, said he had nowhere to go anyhow when the barber took me first since I had an appointment.  He sat waiting with his back to the flat-screen TV that hung on the wall behind him.

The TV was turned on to the World Cup.  Because I always try to be polite (and really need a haircut that won’t embarrass my daughter on her wedding day), I asked my barber how his team did.  “Not so good,” he answered.  Nick hails from Albania, and, from what he said, they were put in a pool with the likes of Italy and Spain.  Oh, well.  “And what about your team?” he asked.

I didn’t even pretend to have one.

No comments:

Post a Comment