Thursday, August 8, 2019

Acorn and Tree


I wasn’t up for more than three minutes this morning, having made my way into the kitchen, when Clare texted Michele: Tell Dad that Tyler Flowers hit into a triple play.  The ex-Sox catcher is not one of my favorite players if for no other reason than he was one of Hawk Harrelson’s.  Year after year, the Hawk predicted great things of Flowers in the same way Herbert Hoover predicted a rebound for the economy in 1930, 1931, 1932….


Two hours later, my daughter called from work to ask, “Did you see what the White Sox are doing?”  Clare then filled me in on how the Sox and Yankees are going to play a regular-season game next August at the “Field of Dreams” movie site in Dyersville, Iowa.  How interesting.


I first saw the movie right after the Sox had successfully blackmailed the Illinois General Assembly into providing funding for a new stadium.  Kevin Costner helped take away the pain, if you will.  I don’t know how old Clare was when she first saw the movie, but she visited the field twice by the time she was twelve.  The second time she nearly took my head off when I pitched to her before lining a ball into the corn.


She reminded me of that on the phone.  The plans are for the stadium to seat 8,000 spectators.  My guess is that tickets will go for four figures; be available via lottery; and/or given away in contests.  The stadium is supposed to include design elements of Comiskey Park.

I can only hope the two of us will get a chance to see for ourselves come next summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment